Dear Friend of the Guild,
Due to the ongoing health crisis, this year’s NLG-LA Annual Awards Celebration will be held in a virtual format on Sunday, November 15, 2020, at 5:00pm. While we enjoy convening in person, it is still not safe to hold large gatherings. The Annual Celebration means a lot to our members, and it is the Guild’s main source of funding. Recognizing the importance of the event, we are working to ensure this is a meaningful and participatory virtual experience for everyone.
The virtual event will include: a powerful program that spotlights this year’s incredible honorees who have spent decades fighting for justice; an opportunity to connect with colleagues and friends; and recognition and our gratitude for everyone who supports the dinner.
We hope you will continue your support of the Guild in these uncertain times. For over 80 years, NLG has acted as a legal arm of social justice movements, working tirelessly to defend the rights of the most marginalized communities. By participating in the event, you show your strong support for the Guild and for this year’s lineup of honorees, who have worked on the front-lines of the movement for civil rights–advancing the rights of immigrants, tenants, workers, and victims of police violence. We are proud of this year’s tremendous honorees:
Alan Diamante, precedent-setting immigrant rights attorney whose cases have greatly advanced civil rights for immigrants. His pro bono work includes high profile defense of immigrant activists, spotlighting human rights violations against U.S. deportees from Central America, and fighting against fraudulent businesses that prey on vulnerable immigrant communities.
Maria Hall, solo practice lawyer focusing on civil rights, environmental justice, representing tenants suing slumlords, as well as pro bono activist legal defense. Active with many local organizations including MABA, Maria has been active with the Guild since law school and served as Guild co-president. She runs the LA Incubator Consortium, helping new solo attorneys committed to closing the access to justice gap.
Jorge Gonzalez, longtime civil rights and criminal defense lawyer and NLG Board member. He has represented activists in many human rights struggles spanning several decades and has won important victories in court, holding police accountable for excessive and deadly force against activists and communities of color.
UCLA Labor Center, believes that a public university belongs to the people and should advance quality education and employment for all. Every day they bring together workers, students, faculty, and policymakers to address the most critical issues facing working people today.
Stop LAPD Spying Coalition Legal Team (Colleen Flynn, Hamid Khan, Jamie Rae Garcia, Matthew Strugar), won a game-changing lawsuit against the Los Angeles Police Department this year, forcing the agency to disclose countless public records revealing harmful policing of activists and communities of color.
With Gratitude to this year’s Sponsors:
- Front Lines Sponsor:
Gilbert & Sackman
- Movement Builder Sponsor:
- Indispensable Sponsors:
Barbara Hadsell & Dan Stormer
Thank you to this year’s Hosts:
- Cynthia Anderson-Barker, Dale Galipo, Mike Lee, Victor Narro, Ben O’Donnell, Tony Pullara, Steve Raganold, Vicki Sarmiento, Gilbert Saucedo, Gina Viola
- Gary Blasi, Val Carlson, Cathy Dreyfuss, Patrick Dunlevy, Marlene Furth, Pinky Ghuman, Wilmer Harris, Rose Hasnat, Una Lee Jost, Kat Khommarath, Jennifer Kramer, Jim Lafferty, Cindy Panuco, Meehan Rasch, Tina Rasnow, Ira Spiro, Bill Steiner, Lawrence Tripp, Rigo Vazquez, Jon Zerolnick
Josh Adams, Monique Alarcon, Cynthia Anderson-Barker, Lindsay Battles, Tom Beck, Jose Calderon, Arnoldo Casillas, Eric Castelblanco, Martin Chenevert, M.D., Lynda Chung, Roger Clark, Sarah Coffey, Laura Cohen, Jim DeSimone, Patrick Dunlevy, Steve Escovar, Rudy Espinoza, Larry Frank, Dale Galipo, Pinky Ghuman, Maria Hall, Carrie Hempel, Caitlyn Henry, Luz Herrera, Tasha Hill, Carlos Holguin, Alexei Hong, Jolene Horn, Dr. Jill Humphries, Betty Hung, Rebecka Jackson-Moeser, Gordon Kaupp, Matthew Kay, Jim Lafferty, Martin Lijtmaer, Pasquale Lombardo, Robert Mann, John Michael Lee, Vivek Mittal, Ken Montenegro, Robert Myers, Pete Navarro, Chris Newman, Olu Orange, Sri Panchalam, Cindy Panuco, Judy Perez, Nora Phillips, Elena Popp, Micheli Quadros, John Raphling, Luis Rodriguez, Mariliz Romero de Aquino, Vicki Sarmiento, Gilbert Saucedo, Dan Sharp, Jay Shin, Helen Sklar, Carol Smith, Doug Smith, Carol Sobel, Rachel Steinback, Cathy Sweetser, Walker Van Antwerp, Julia Vazquez, John Viola, Gina Viola, Carol Watson, Vera Weisz, Brooke Weitzman.
Below are opportunities to participate in the event. Please let us know if you can join us. Thank you!
Yours in Solidarity,
— NLG-LA 2020 Annual Awards Dinner Committee
Opportunities to Participate in 2020 NLG-LA Annual Awards Dinner:
- Front-Lines Sponsor $2,500 (includes 10 tickets; recognition in dinner journal, website & e-invite)
- Movement-Builder Sponsor $5,000 (includes 20 tickets; benefits listed above, plus mention on social media, and priority seating)
- Indispensable Sponsor $10,000 (includes benefits listed above, plus additional tickets per sponsor’s request, mention in press release, and recognition in event program)
- Regular Table $1,250 (10 seats)
- Host Table $2,000 (10 seats + name(s) listed as host(s) on website, program and e-invite)
Ads in Dinner Journal
- Quarter Page 3¾” x 5” $375 | Eighth Page 3¾” x 2½” $300
- Full Page 7½”x 10” $1,250 | Half Page 7½”x 5” $750
- Full Page Back Cover $2,250 | Full Page Inside Cover $1,750
To submit an ad, please send text, logo, or artwork by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2020.
- Regular Ticket $135
- Host Ticket $250 or $500 (name listed as host on e-invite, website and program)
*Note: you can sponsor tickets for students and/or low-income Guild members to attend the event. We do not want money to be a barrier for low-income Guild members attending the event. To request a discounted or free ticket for a low-income Guild member, email Admin@NLG-LA.org.
- By Check: Please send a check payable to NLG-LA to 3916 Sepulveda Blvd, #105, Culver City, CA 90230 (no processing fee). Please include your name, organization, address, email, and phone number.
- By Credit Card: Direct Link Here