NLG-LA INTERNSHIP/EXTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES &
POST-GRADUATE LEGAL FELLOWSHIPS
NLG-LA seeks to sponsor interns, law student externs, as well as Skadden and/or Equal Justice Works (EJW) candidates, to complete projects in one or more of NLG-LA’s key program areas.
The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) was founded in 1937 as the country’s first racially-integrated bar association of progressive lawyers and jurists who believed that they had a major role to play in the reconstruction of legal values to emphasize human rights over property rights. The Guild is the oldest and most extensive network of public interest and human rights activists working within the legal system.
NLG works tirelessly towards our mission of uniting lawyers, law students, legal workers and jailhouse lawyers to function as an effective force in the service of the people, to the end that human rights shall be regarded as more sacred than property interests. Our aim is to bring together all those who recognize the importance of safeguarding and extending the rights of workers, women, LGBTQ+ people, farmers, people with disabilities and people of color, upon whom the welfare of the entire nation depends; who seek actively to eliminate racism; who work to maintain and protect our civil rights and liberties in the face of persistent attacks upon them; and who look upon the law as an instrument for the protection of the people, rather than for their repression.
NLG-LA is unique in that our work spans a broad cross-section of issues areas. We are willing to work with dedicated fellows to develop multi-project fellowships that align with the applicants’ skill set and interests.
Criteria for selection include:
- Current law students, law school graduates, legal workers and/or candidates with experience in community organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to NLG’s mission
- Demonstrated relevant experience
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to work in teams, exercise sound judgment and work independently
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred
To apply, please submit the following:
- Cover letter (must relate to NLG-LA’s mission and candidate’s relevant experience);
- Writing sample and 2-3 references;
- Optional: Law school transcript (unofficial transcript acceptable)
How to apply:
Please send completed application to Kath@NLG-LA.org with the subject “NLG-LA Externship/Fellowship Application.”
NLG-LA strongly encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.